Tuesday 3 May 2011

A level Work: Discarded

This Art is from my Alevel project titled Discarded

The second of a two canvas piece, I used a photo of a transvestite as my main inspiration, someone who is socially looked down on and misunderstood. Using the same colour scheme I attempted to create a strange character. I think leaving one eye unpainted adds to the strangeness of the piece.


This is a final piece, acrylic on canvas. I used a surreal colour scheme and ignored human proportions to create a discarded member of society, the piece looks awkward and uncomfortable, which is what I was trying to create. I used shapes and blending techniques similar to that of Chagal.


This page from my sketch book shows a young boy who looks tormented and riddled with anger as he squeezed a toy grenade, Instantly I saw him as a discarded maybe mistreated human and needed to use him in my project. For some reason his head seemed to large for his body and so in my sketch I really wanted to emphasise the idea.


This is an acrylic painting I did of one of the twins in Arbus's photograph. Using a black background I used lose brush strokes and unrealistic colours to create this painting. I think leaving the eyes black really added an eerie feel to the piece.


This is two pages from my sketchbook, where I tested different ways to tackle my influence. The photograph I used was eerie to look at and genuinely made me feel uneasy. I wanted to try and replicate that surge of emotion in my work, I used a variety of recycled newspaper and black ink at first, using a brush and water to get a spooky feel.


This is a mix-media approach I took to the theme. After printing copies of Arbus's work I selected some recycled materials and got to work on a painted black acrylic background. The girl in the original photograph had a very androgynous look and I liked this aspect of her.


This piece was created by using a range of materials i found within the bin, I thought using the materials that people had thrown interlinked with my title very well. The man Features in Arbus's work his cleft palate, bald head and tattoos made him stand out for me. I used charcoal to emphasise features and shape.

1 comment:

  1. Hi Josh,

    interesting artwork. im an artist like you but im quite younger hahaha. i write horror stories and i love art and -- well, you dont need my life story hahahahaha.

    but im just saying, cool drawings bro :D

    ReplyDelete